NZIFF At Home – Online brings the festival experience to the comfort of your living room.
This year we’ve curated a special programme of more than 80 feature length films and short film collections for streaming on your television, computer, handheld device or home cinema setup.
At Home – Online films are available as Online Rentals – viewed within 48 hours of purchase, or Online Premieres – viewed at a set date and time and including special Filmmaker Extras and selected live post-film Q&As.
NOTE: Online Premieres are available to rent from 10 July. Online Rentals are available to rent starting 25 July, with new rentals made available each day of the festival. For now, you may wish to create an account, try our test film trailer and create your Wishlist so you’re ready to go.
There are four things you need to watch films on our streaming platform:
See full System Requirements below for details.
$10 – Online Rental: These tickets are available from 25 July, with films available to stream for 48 hours* from time purchase. New Online Rentals are released each day of the festival at 10am and will be available to purchase for up to one week. *There are some exceptions. Please check details before purchasing.
$12 – Online Premiere: These tickets are available from 10 July, with films streamed at a set time & date. This is the equivalent of an in-cinema premiere event, with audiences around the country watching together. Select Online Premieres will be followed by live Q&As or discussions on Facebook and YouTube.
$14 – Online One Night Only: An Online Premiere that will not be available as an Online Rental. This is your one chance to watch!
$20 – Group: If you’re watching any film with a group of 3+ friends or whānau this price is for you. Unlike many other film festivals, we are founded on the principle of sharing our box office takings with filmmakers and their agents. Where we’d normally charge individual ticket prices for in-cinema screenings, we’re asking our audiences to support filmmakers and the Festival by chipping in extra for mates watching with you.
NZIFF At Home - Online prices are inclusive of booking and credit card fees. For screenings in cinemas, ticket types and prices, including booking and/or credit card fees are at the discretion of the venues. Please check the In Cinema page for information and updates.
A step by step guide on how to watch Whānau Mārama: New Zealand International Film Festival 2020 At Home – Online.
1. Dive into the Whānau Mārama: New Zealand International Film Festival programme – here on the website, digital catalogue or downloaded catalogue.
2. Plan your festival by creating your Wishlist. Click ‘Add to Wishlist’ under your preferred session and access your list at the top right.
3. Your list remains on your current browser or you can register to share across multiple devices. Remember to sign in to see your saved list
When signed in, you can share your Wishlist with friends and whānau, set reminders, and mark films as purchased.
4. Over on our streaming platform, create an At Home – Online account. You can do this now or when you’re ready to rent your first Online Premiere or Online Rental.
5. Once you’ve created your account and signed in, you can test your home cinema setup is ready to go with our NZIFF At Home – Online Trailer. It’s already in the ‘My Library’ section of your account. Check out the System Requirements below for a full list of supported devices. We strongly recommend you take time to get set up before you settle in for your first film.
6. When you're ready to buy* and watch, head back to nziff.co.nz and click the ‘Watch Online’ button; found next to your Wishlist films or the session times on each film page.
*NOTE: Online Premieres are available to rent from 10 July. Online Rentals are available to rent starting 25 July, with new rentals made available each day of the festival.
7. The ‘Watch Online’ button takes you to our streaming and purchasing platform. Click the 'Rent' button to take you through to purchasing.
If you’re browsing the digital or pdf catalogue, the 'Buy' button will take you to the same place.
8. Once purchased, your film appears in the My Library section of your NZIFF At Home – Online account.
A full list of System Requirements and what you can use to watch films on our streaming platform:
An NZIFF At Home – Online account.
Create one on our streaming platform here.
A valid credit card
Only New Zealand-registered Visa, Mastercard or Debit cards can be used. Visa-enabled Prezzy cards are also accepted.
An internet connection
Broadband and fibre are supported. However, if your connection is poor or inconsistent you may experience problems during streaming.
A screen to watch on.
- Computer or laptop with a supported browser
Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Mac OSX 10.7 or later. Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari or Opera. We recommend using the latest version of your browser as earlier versions may not be supported. Internet Explorer and earlier versions of Safari may require you to install Flash or Widevine plugins.
- Handheld device
An app is being developed to enable access to films on your handheld device (Android, iPhone, iPad). Please check back for more details. Note: Apps will only be used to screen films you’ve already purchased. Purchasing must take place on a supported browser.
Recent model TVs with Chromecast or Airplay. Please check your TV specifications. Alternatively, you can plug in an HDMI cable from your laptop or computer.
Screen devices and browsers will register automatically as you use them. You may have up to three registered on your account but may only stream from one at a time. Devices can be removed in the My Devices section of your account. We strongly recommend you take time to get set up before you settle in for your first film.
If you’ve forgotten your password:
- Click “Forgotten your password?” from the Sign In page.
- Enter the email address you used when you created the account.
- A link to reset your password will be emailed to you.
If you’re unable to purchase a film:
- Check you are using a New Zealand-registered credit card. Only New Zealand-registered Visa, Mastercard or Debit cards can be used. Visa-enabled Prezzy cards are also accepted.
If you’re unable to play a film:
- Check you have all system requirements.
- Check your internet connection. If your connection is poor or inconsistent you may experience problems during playback.
- Check the time. The play button is enabled for Online Premieres at the advertised start time. It is disabled at 4am, at which point any active streaming will stop. Online Rentals can be played for 48 hours from time of purchase. For most rentals you can press play, pause, or rewind as many times as you like before this time limit expires. For other rentals, you may watch only once or for a limited time from when you press play. Please check details before purchasing.
- Check you’re in New Zealand. At Home — Online is only available to New Zealand audiences. Sorry Australia!
If subtitles or closed captions don't appear:
- Some films will need subtitles or closed captions, if available, turned on manually. Once you've started the film, click the CC button from the play menu and select from the available option/s.
If you receive a device error:
- Screen devices and browsers will register automatically as you use them. You may have up to three registered on your account but may only stream from one at a time. Devices can be removed in the My Devices section of your account.
If you’re still experiencing problems, please contact us on email@example.com.